Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Thoughts On Collections - New and Old

A friend of mine wrote to me yesterday and asked what I collected. *ha ha* What an interesting question, although I don't know if he was prepared for the following dissertation. People seem to fall into one of two categories. Either you tend to keep things or you don't. Although we are identical twins, this is just one more time where we are anything but identical in personality. I keep things and she does not. 

For those of us who enjoy having things around us, collections are a very good excuse for keeping and storing things. Most often we are labeled "hoarders" or "pack rats", which I think can be quite unfair. However, even I do get overwhelmed (occasionally) by the amount of stuff that one can accumulate in a relatively short amount of time. 

Over the years, I have had many collections. Also over the years, I have gotten rid of many collections. These included tea boxes (yes, I mean the cardboard boxes that tea bags come in), library receipts, rocks and creamers. Although, I do still have most of my rock collection in two small bins, all labeled with the name of the place where they came from. Tea boxes went out to make room for treasures that needed storage space and the library receipts were dumped one day after I found out how toxic the thermal printing paper is. Creamers were the last and most were given away about a year and a half ago. So, I have grown enough and Sarah has helped me become a not-so-quite-pack-rat and I have focused on a few, but nicer, collections.


BOOKS - I'm not sure that I should include this as a collection, but I suppose it is, technically. With me, books are more of an obsession. Mom raised us from the very beginning with books. We read early and I have always loved books. Although, I did take a long time to graduate from kiddie picture books (i.e. "Berenstain Bears", "Curious George", etc.) to larger books. I did make the jump successfully and now love large history books written by university professors (which don't often have any pictures!). Books are a wonder. They can transport you into an imaginary world, they can give you an abundance of information, they entertain, they teach. And you don't need electricity to use one! I definitely prefer non-fiction. WWII, British history, etc. However, when I have been reading something heavy, I usually get a mystery book for a break. "Cadfael" series by Ellis Peters or Agatha Christie. This Summer I really worked at collecting Christie books. Got many hardbacks and a lot of paperbacks. For some of them, it isn't worth the shelf space or the money to get hardbacks. Others, however, I have read and really liked and have tried to find nice, hardback copies. I think that I had over 60 different titles, last time I counted! Here is a photo of the shelf. However, this is only part of them, the rest are all stacked behind these.


SHEET MUSIC - Another collection is sheet music. Sarah and I love to play together and since we like the popular songs of the 30s-50s, we have collected old song sheets for years. Our collection  is way over a thousand (we have never actually counted) and takes up two old sheet music stands, three hutch drawers, one cabinet and the entire top of a sideboard (those have to be put away and sorted through for duplicates). Most are from 1935-1955, which is our favorite era. Many are quite rare and many are movie covers or have famous people on them. Sarah and I do have several that we have for the covers, but most are collected for the actual music. Sis collects pieces with Bing Crosby on the front and I collect ones with Deanna Durbin on them. However, they are for playing as well as looking at We have gotten several pieces signed by stars who appear on the covers. Jane Powell, Joan Fontaine, Ann Blyth, Rise Stevens, Tony Martin, Janis Paige, etc. *The photo shows the inside of one cabinet.

STAMPS - We all have stamp collections. My main one is Monaco during the time of Princes Grace. I am actually going to scrapbook around it and have it go year-by-year. Photos of Princess Grace, a timeline and all the stamps from that year. So, I am actually doing USA stamps for Oct. 1929 - April 1956 and then Monaco from April 1956 - Sept. 1982. Also any Monaco stamps that have her on them, regardless of the year of release. This is really fun and should be quite cool when I get it put together. I got autographs from two of Princess Grace's children to include in it, even.

I also have a few topical collections. One that is guide dogs and blind schools (postcards and stamps), French Resistance during WWII, the Philippines while it was a US territory, and opera stars, composers and singers on stamps from around the word. I also like first day covers and postcards. Although, they are just things I like and no particular collection.

LILLIPUT LANE  COTTAGES - My personal "collection" is Lilliput Lane cottages. These are hand painted cottages that are made in the UK. An artist sculpts a cottage (most are based on real houses) and then it is cast and reproduced and the artist paints each one. This collection started when I got three little cottages in a $2 auction box. What a box! Mom didn't know what it would start! I have collected them for about three years now and the family gets one for me every birthday and Christmas. That is also what I usually spend any spending money I get on, as well. We found a gift shop in Wales, The Blue Casket of Conwy, that sells them and I buy all the new ones there. I buy some discontinued models on eBay. I now have 35, including one that is a special edition of the Tower of London, in honour of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee.

Lilliput Lane does mostly British houses. However, over the years, they have done houses from other countries. In 1990, they did a line of twelve French buildings. These were only sold in France and only made in 1990, so they are a bit harder to collect. I have really been working at it, and yesterday got the sixth one in the mail! So, I am halfway there with the French collection! 

RECORDS - Sarah and I also collect records. 78s, 45s, and 33s. We downsized all of these this year, but still have hundreds of each variety. Very heavy collection, though The 78s and 45s are actually stored under my piano. We don't often add to the record collection anymore, so these are kind of "finished" collections.


BEANIE BABIES - When it comes to TY beanies, Sis and I are suckers. We actually each got one of the second series when they were brand new and still just little stuffed animals in toy stores and not a collectible for adults. Over the years, we collected a bunch more. They were some of our favorite playthings and we carried beanies everywhere! Since the craze died, we have taken advantage and bought a lot of them from people who were liquidating collections. We never pay a lot (usually 50 cents) and now have about four hundred of them. We figure that you can't have enough, especially when we have kids and split them between our houses and grandparents houses! 

Of course, I have a lot of things that I like. I have two cabinets in the hallway at the top of the stairs where I have a bunch of my Lilliputs. Also in there are many little "treasures" that I have collected over the years. My modest collection of cigarette lighters, cases and ashtrays. Some souvenirs of the 1933/34 Chicago World's Fair (Century of Progress), old glass marbles, pinbacks, silver spoons that have silent movie stars engraved on them, WWII ration books and identity cards, our Grandparents' Cuban passports, some figurines, and many other little odd treasures. 

So, all in all, I still like collecting, although I have channeled my resources and energy into a few more permanent choices. Sarah is always helping me decide if a thing is really worth keeping and storing and caring for. She is a wonderful live conscience and my own, personal Jiminy Cricket. What a fabulous sister! Even if I do get upset when I have to go through things sometimes. *smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment