Saturday, March 23, 2013

Going My Way: Rise Stevens, 99


We just found out last night that opera singer, Rise Stevens, died on Wednesday at the age of 99. She was a fabulous mezzo who will forever be remembered for her interpretation of Carmen. However, she also appeared in two Hollywood films - Going My Way, opposite Bing Crosby, and The Chocolate Soldier, opposite Nelson Eddy. She not only sounded good singing, but she had a nice, sweet screen persona. You actually liked her in the films. Nothing can compare to the scene in Going My Way when Bing and Miss Stevens sing Ave Maria with the Robert Mitchell Boys Choir.

This is like the passing of an era, really.My favorite generation of opera singers is almost gone. Happily their talent is preserved on disc for us to enjoy over and over. She had a gorgeous voice. Also sang some popular songs, Broadway songs, and even did an album of Jerome Kern songs. 

She was married to her manager, Walter Szurovy, for 61 years until his death in 2001. They had one son, Nicholas, who became an actor. Actually, his screen debut was as a bandit in an episode of The Big Valley. Here is a link to Judgement in Heaven, in which he plays Billy Joe Gaines.

Two years ago, I wrote to Miss Stevens and she was kind enough to autograph a picture and piece of sheet music for me. A treasure in my collection. 

"O come, let us sing unto the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our Salvation" - Psalm 95: 1-3

1 comment:

  1. :( I just wish I could put on the brakes and make all these Golden Era people stop dying!! It's awful! What shall we do when they're gone?!

    (on a less serious note, your blog is looking real cute. I like it)

    ReplyDelete