Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bloomfield Cemetery and Books

Last week we went (again) to Bloomfield Cemetery, just outside of Sparta in Morrow Co. This is one of the prettiest cemeteries that we have been to yet. It is also where most of the Swetlands are buried. My Swetland genealogy is really coming along. I already have over 1200 people in my family tree. Truanna's daddy, Joseph Carper Swetland is among those buried at Bloomfield. Below are some photos of me standing next to his marker and the large Swetland monument. I keep finding more Swetlands there in the vicinity. Girls who got married and I don't know their married names. I think I have most of them now, although I do still get surprised. Here are some photos that Sarah took of me while we were there. The first is me with a child's stone that I was cleaning off so that we could transcribe it. The second is me with the Swetland monument, and the third is me behind Joseph Carper's stone.



The past couple of days I have been going through transcriptions of Knox Co. newspaper articles on rootsweb. A lady's grandmother saved thousands of clippings from the 1900s to 1940s, and she has been typing them up on rootsweb for the past several years. Absolutely fantastic! I have found so many good ones, it is amazing. Well, I have been putting obits on the findagrave memorials for anyone I recognize the name for. Found one for a "P.B. Chase", buried in Bloomfield. Well, I knew we had seen him, so I figured I would send the obit. Long obit. So I read it. So interesting. Turns out that the man is the guy who built the beautiful estate on SR229, which we pass on the way to the cemetery and we passed for more than a year when we went to Church in Sunbury. I always mean to stop and take a photo, but never have. Well, this Plimpton Chase is the guy who built the beautiful estate on his family's property which was originally his great-grandfather's Revolutionary War service land grant. They are selling it on sotheby's right now for almost a million dollars.



I thought it would be really fun to have them in my family tree. However, I don't have any Chases in the Swetland tree. However, like Bloomfield and Chester townships always are, they are related! It only took us five minutes to totally connect the Chases and the Swetlands! Truanna's mother is Emily Howard, her father's brother (so her uncle) had Martha Howard who was Plimpton's mother! Not only that, Martha's sister Rachel was married to Jacob Y. Beers and they had Emery, who married Joseph Carper and Emily's daughter, Elzina! Honestly, if you studied all the people buried at Chester Baptist Cemetery and the people at Bloomfield, they are almost all related to each other. It really is amazing.

Today it is grey, windy, and snowy. We got about an inch and a half last night and it is supposedly going to snow some more today. Yay! So, this morning we are going to make some coffee (already have the hot tea!) and I am going to vacuum some of the books upstairs. Last night I did four shelves of the childrens bios. A couple nights ago I did five shelves of the Wanna-Bes. It is so nice looking when they are dusted and all even on the shelves. I am listening to an audiobook of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". It is read by Emilia Fox, who played Georgianna in the 1995 mini-series. I am over half way done and really enjoying it. Lizzy just toured Pemberley with her aunt and uncle. So, those are my plans for this beautiful snowy day. :o)

". . . the genealogy of all their little ones, their wives, and their sons, and their daughters, through all the congregation . . . " - 2 Chronicles 31:18b

No comments:

Post a Comment