Saturday, March 24, 2012

The 3 S's Sequal - Shamrocks, Swetlands, and . . . Sunburn?!

Our St. Patrick's Day was easy and fun. We had our normal coffee in the morning and cleaned the kitchen and everything. In the afternoon, Mom and Dad went to Mansfield on a secret errand while Sarah and I decorated the backroom upstairs. I put on an opera DVD and finished making my leprechaun cutout and we hung up our Happy St. Patrick's Day sign and some shamrock garland. Can it get better than Irish decor and Joan Sutherland? :o) We finished playing Syberia I (which was absolutely wonderful! Can't wait to start Syberia II!)and after Mom and Dad got back, we watched My Wild Irish Rose which has Dennis Morgan singing a lot of Irish songs and features a wonderfully Irish finale.



Sunday, we finally made a family outing and drove up to Cleveland. (Well, Mom would say that it wasn't really Cleveland.) We went to the cemetery in North Olmsted where Uncle JD is buried. I couldn't have been happier. I have really been wanting to go see it and get a photo of his marker. It turns out that Aunt Margaret's brother and his wife are buried four spaces away. So that was fun! We also went to the cemetery where the Stubbs are buried. Took new photos of those stones and even transcribed the Alger monument which is really worn away. We had to leave because there was lots of lightening and it started to rain.

On Thursday, Mom had a slight case of cabin fever, so we decided to drive out to Belle Center (out in Logan County). I never thought that we would ever make it out there, but Mom thought it would be fun. The reason that I wanted to go is that Harold Swetland (the boy that died in Alaska during WWII) has a marker in the cemetery up there. Also, his father, mother, and grandparents are all buried there. Harold's grandfather is Truannie's brother. The cemetery was really pretty, but very sunny. Hardin and Logan Counties are so flat! All farmland and flat. The sun was out and it was very hot. We spent hours walking around and looking for the twenty FindAGrave photo requests. Found all but four and found all the ones I wanted as well. Harold, Harold's parents and grandparents, his step-father, etc. I am so happy. (Here is a photo of me next to Harold's marker. I'll do an entry later with more photos and his story.) Well, we ended up with bad cases of sunburn! Can you believe it! Sunburn in March! I feel awful!

I did get to do some more book dusting this week. I am working on the shelf units behind Sarah's chair and the wool dust is about to kill me! I thought the other books were dusty. Nothing to these! It is awful! I'll do more this week. Mom has her doctor appointment on Monday, so we'll head up to Mansfield for that. Other than that, I don't think we have any pressing plans. I am hoping to get a lot of books done. Sarah and I are also going to get in the closet under the stairs. That is a job, as it requires us to empty and move the cabinet full of sheet music. Anyway, more later!

"Thou has set all the borders of the earth: Thou hast made summer and winter." - Psalm 74:17

No comments:

Post a Comment