Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Concerning Books, Book Sales, and Bookstores

What happier topic is there than books? Simply wonderful. I love books. No, I LOVE books! Well, this weekend we spent two days surrounded by books. On Friday, we drove up to Wooster and went to their library book sale, which is in the basement of the old library building. We got two whole boxes of kids books, including Aunt Eater's Mystery Christmas and Wagon Wheels. Two Step-up readers that have been on our 'to get' list for years. After that, we went to Books In Stock, the bookstore that we have grown up going to. It still looks like an old bookstore. Just rows and rows of books in an old two-story building. We got some really fun ones. Another copy of the Roy and Dale bio that we absolutely love, a cool book on the liberation of the French Riviera during WWII, a really swell 4-stories-in-1 Yogi Bear storybook, Sarah even found a 1940 paperback movie edition of Gone With The Wind! However, my special find was a 1922 copy of Lorna Doone. It is the 'Madge Bellamy Edition', which was released along with the silent film. It has a picture cover, and has many illustrations and photos from the film inside. I am so excited! I actually weeded my collection of Lorna Doone.



Saturday dawned very hot. (What's new?) We got up early and had our coffee first, then all four of us headed down to Worthington. Went to their library book sale, which turned out to be bag day. So, we came back with eight large bags of books! Some kids books, but mostly adult non-fiction. Lots of WWII ones. Happiness. I even got a couple Christie hardbacks. Really nice ones, too. We were there probably close to three hours. :o) Then we went to another book store just down the road. We used to go there when Sarah had a violin teacher right around the corner. This is more like a book warehouse. Rows and rows of book shelves and about three feet of boxes and stacked books all along the base of every shelf and wall. I got a really cool hardback of Christie's Ordeal By Innocence. The find of the day, however, was a piece of sheet music that Sara dug out of a stack. The theme song from the 1954 film, Woman's World, showing all seven stars on the front! Sarah and I love the movie and the song, but we never knew there was sheet music for it. So, this is fantastic! Sarah also found a nice piece with Dan Duryea on the cover.



So, all the books got carried up to the back room upstairs so that I can work on them. Yesterday (Monday), I spent all day sorting and cleaning. I worked until 7pm and got about 2/3 of them cleaned. I'll finish tomorrow. Got some really nice books to fill out parts of the collection. Added to some sets, replaced beat up copies of a bunch of books, filled out many topics. The job will be finding places to put all of them when they are all cleaned! Ah, well . . . that has it's fun points too. ;o) I cleaned so many ink stamps off of the laminated library binding, that my fingers are still black! All fun, all fun. Books make me happy, and in this terrible heat, that is a good thing. It is very grey and heavy today. They are saying thunder and rain, but so far nothing has happened. I fell like Atlas, except I have the weight of the world on my chest, not my shoulders. I can't wait for Winter! In the meantime, though, the book are calling.



How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who announces peace and brings good news of happiness, who announces salvation, and says to Zion, 'You God Reigns!' - Isaiah 52:7

No comments:

Post a Comment